Terah and Ross celebrated their emerald green and gold wedding at Unity Lutheran Church and the Fortnightly Club in Chicago. The bride is a historian and created an authentic Victorian era theme wedding....down to making her own dress! It was modeled off of a 19th century Civil War era design. The groomsmen's suits were also period inspired with old fashioned ascotts instead of modern ties. The bride's mother Linda also helped a great deal by elaborately designing the reception table centerpieces. Each table had a different traditional scholastic subject theme and was decorated using a varieity of antiques and vintage pieces such as inkwells, maps, globes, books, and old photographs. Overall, the style of the wedding reflected both Terah and Ross's professional careers in academia. Terah and Linda also made the invitations and programs, and many other details. All in all it was truly an exceptional D.I.Y. wedding, We will always look back on this as all-time favorite for us, not only for the amazing details, but primarily because Terah and Ross were such wonderful and kind couple, an absolute pleasure to get to know, and we were so honored to be included on their memorable day.
The wedding party "jump" is a classic fun portrait to do, especially with a larger wedding party lined up and jumping in perfect timing. We worked with the monochromatic details to give this portrait a bit more creative flair for this wedding party jump portrait. It worked out nicely with the orange barn, golden sunest sky, and burnt orange bridesmaid dresses at Jenny and Patrick's wedding in Glen Ellyn over the weekend.
Parasols are popping up in cute styles of paper, prints and, of course, traditional lace at summer 2013 weddings.
Parasols and statement umbrellas always play a part in weddings every year, but new versions of paper parasols in this seasons hot coral and green colors, as well as cute printed statement umbrellas and parasols are trending this summer.
Click for more info
We had a wonderful time at Indie Wed on Saturday, and were inspired hearing all of the creative plans couples are making for their 2013 and 2014 weddings. Indie Wed is THE event for couples looking for unique wedding ideas and professionals, and we were honored to participate. Thanks to everyone who came by our booth to say hello, and also a big thanks to our associates Amanda and Kevin for doing such a wonderful job. We are so fortunate to have such wonderful people, couples and professionals, to make our world go round.
Here are some of our favorite highlights from Indie Wed. There are also lots more pictures on our facebook page.
Around the winter holidays is annually when engagement season is in full bloom, although any time of year is a good time to propose. As we look towards Valentines Day next month, one of the biggest engagement days each year, we're inspired to do a new round up of the latest engagement rings for 2013. A few unique trends we're seeing are rose gold bands, emerald green stones and yellow diamonds. Also, classic cuts and vintage style engagement rings are forever fashionable.
With thousands of wedding blogs around the world there is literally limitless inspiration and information for wedding planning. For the Chicago area, we are fortunate to have so many creative and knowledgeable wedding professionals who also have fantastic blogs. We find the advice and tips found on event professionals blogs to be more realistic, filled with a lot more original ideas, and frankly, far more diverse than what we see on the nationally-known wedding blogs.
10 of our favorite Chicago wedding blogs and posts in 2012 (listed randomly)
1. Wedding Creativo Blog (okay yes, we are biased, ha ha) - of course as photographers, we feature lots of pretty pictures, but also practical tips and insights based on our real weddings from two decades of experience. One of our most popular posts: Make Your Own New Wedding Traditions
2. Entertaining Company Blog - this is a great catering and event design company, and owner Wendy Pashman is an amazing writer to boot. This blog shares a wide variety of ideas and inspiration for weddings and parties of all sorts. Recommended reading: How to Cocktail Like a Marchesa
3. Alice Padrul Journal - Couture wedding dress designer Alice Padrul shows her stunningly beautiful gowns in action featuring videos and photos of real brides on their wedding day, and occasionally she gives us a peek behind the curtain into her dress making workshop in Chicago. Recommended reading: The Making of a Gown
4. Sarah Drake Design Blog - Sarah Drake is a professional creative designer on several fronts, and has expanded her creative work beyond weddings and paperies, but she is a greatly admired wedding invitation designer in Chicago. We enjoy reading about what inspires her work, and also regular features of her behind the scenes working on the delicate details of her designs. Recommended reading: September = Wedding Production
5. Fleur Chicago Blog - Kellie Marie, owner of Fleur, is hands down one of the most talented florists in Chicago, and her blog regularly inspires with photos of her beautiful work, boutique floral shop, and her personal notes and insights. Recommended reading: Don't Sweat It
6. Sine Qua Non Special Events Blog - event planner Beth Bernstein leads the team at SQN with lots of practical planning advice, and her blog also shows her talents as a taste maker with posts that are always on top of the latest trends. Recommended reading: Beauty and the Brooch (Bouquet)
7. Stitely Entertainment Blog - Jeff Stitely and crew are tops among wedding musicians in Chicago, and their blog often has some surprising and clever sources of inspiration for wedding music. Recommended reading: Perpetuum Mobile - Music Inspired by Food Poisoning
8. Anita Weds Blog - Anita Vaughan is a kind and thoughtful person, which is why she is a much loved wedding officiant in Chicago. As a certified Life-Cycle Celebrant she shares a lot of diverse weddings on her blog, and we always enjoy reading how she works with couples to help them add personal touches and special meaning into their ceremonies. Recommended reading: Adding a Little Spice to a Ceremony
9. Everything But The Dress - This blog belongs to the ladies of The Left Bank, where brides find dazzling wedding jewelry in Chicago. It is always fun to see their latest arrivals and trunk shows, and we also enjoy seeing their real brides' bling, as well general wedding style tips and trends. Recommended reading: Magnificent Cuffs Inspired by the 2012 Oscar Awards
10. The Haberdash Blog - For fashion and lifestyle tips for the guys, this blog by the Chicago men's clothing boutique Haberdash is an excellent resource. This is not specifically for grooms, but these curators of fashion for well-dressed men can also inspire great ideas for grooms looking to express their own style beyond the standard black tux. Recommended reading: Classic Essentials The Overcoat
Wearing a beautiful silk, velvet or other luxurious robe while you are getting ready on your wedding morning can give your big day an extra special start. We've rounded up a new collection of fantastic dressing robes for brides featuring romantic designs by Jenny Packham, Plumb Pretty Sugar, and Rosamosario.
This summer we are seeing hot summer wedding shoes featuring lots of sparkle and bling. With the blazing temperatures we've had this season, it is no wonder that we are also seeing more strappy sandal style heels. Here are some hot summer 2012 wedding shoes from a few of our favorite designers.
We are big fans of the comedy show "Modern Family" and the funny and lovely Sofia Vergara. Reports are out that on her recent 40th birthday, she accepted the proposal and sparkling ring from her beau Nick Leob. Vergara always looks spectacular on the red carpet, and we wonder what she will wear on her wedding day. Inspired by her curvy fashions, we take a look at some Hollywood glam wedding dress ideas.
If there is a special young girl (or girls) you are planning to have perform flower girl duties, we think a great way to notch up the cuteness factor is having them wear white gloves. For girls who are at that age when they like to play dress-up, this might be something they get excited about too. Make getting dressed for the wedding into a game of make-believe for young kids, and perhaps they will be more likely to be cooperative.
While adding white gloves will for sure add cuteness, we cannot guarantee it will inspire spontaneous moments in the great way that only kids can do, but they will certainly be dressed the part. This this little bundle of adorableness sure was, as she dropped all of her flowers at the end of the aisle. A magic moment indeed.
We hope everyone had a relaxing Memorial Day weekend. It was a hot weekend in Chicago, and certainly officially time to break out the summer outfits. Guys, we're talking to you this time. For summer weddings, especially afternoon affairs, we suggest linens, light fabrics and light colors instead of traditional dark and heavy suits. If the wedding your attending is not strictly formal, try these numbers, and add a little flair to your casual-formal style.
Offbeat fun socks for groomsmen have been a pretty popular wedding trend for a few years running.
Here are some ideas for finding the best socks to express your personality:
argyle socks for groomsmen
striped socks for groomsmen
light colors and patterns socks for groomsmen
vibrant colors and patterns socks for groommen
socks for whimsical grooms
socks for quirky grooms
socks for tough guys
There are several niche shops that carry a variety of unique socks:
This is one of our favorite antique shows that we go to see each year. The 2012 Chicago Botanic Garden Antiques and Garden Fair is going on this weekend through Sunday, April 22. We strolled through on Friday afternoon, with smartphone camera in-hand, and spotted some lovely things for weddings and antique decor. Here are some of our favorite finds:
Delicate details of a modern lace wedding gown can create an elegant soft look with a timeless appeal. Over the last week or so top designers have been showing their latest bridal designs, and many are featuring modern lace gowns in their 2013 spring collections. See some of our favorite modern lace gowns we pinned on Pinterest.